Best Five Tips For Your Apple Shaped Body Dressing
If you are an apple shape, you gain your weight in your tummy. You may have always been this shape, or you may have grown into it once peri-menopause hits. A woman with an apple shape body has:
- A full, rounded stomach with no defined waist
- An average to large bust
- Broad upper arms (and/or shoulders)
- Slim hips in comparison to shoulders
- A behind that is rather flat
- Nice legs
Your dressing goal is to hide your round tummy & show off your nice legs. Here’s how:
- Get a good bra to lift your bust up and off your tummy. Apples need separation between their bust and tummy or you will just look like a big ball.
- Your breasts should sit halfway between your shoulders and elbows, so make sure you have them hiked up. Nothing makes you look more frumpy and old than sagging breasts.
- Tummy shapewear also helps a lot to minimize the apple tummy.
- The best necklines: V-necks that shows some skin or tops with cutouts or embellishment at the neckline. They will take the attention off the tummy and put the focus on your face.
- Empire waist tops or tops that are knotted at the bust also work. They highlight your slimmest point, which is just under your bust.
- Tops with Flared sleeves or that have detailed on the sleeves will also draw the attention away from your belly.
- Tops should cover your entire tummy and end below your hipbone.
Please stay away from baggy tops! As we age and gain weight in the tummy, there is a tendency to want to wear something big and lose to cover up. A baggy top will only make you look bigger! Your top should be slightly fitted and flow gently over your tummy. It should not cling.
- Choose pants with stretch for your tummy.
- Bootcut or trouser leg is best to balance you out up top. Tapered jeans can make you look top-heavy.
- Look for pants that with a smooth front – pull-on pants are best or pants with zippers at the sides, not the front.
- Stay away from pants with too much detail at the waist, such as pleated pants.
- Avoid pants with pockets. They will make your behind look larger and fuller.
- A structured jacket over a loose, flowing dress or a long skirt is great. Be sure the jacket ends at your hips. If it ends at the tummy, all eyes will be there.
- Avoid double-breasted jackets as they will make you look overly busty and wide.
- A duster coat or vest that ends just above the knee is slimming.
- Skirts will show off your nice legs, but keep them no shorter than above the knee, or you’ll look too top-heavy.
- A flirty or flared skirt will balance you out. A-lines are great for an apple shape.
- Dresses should have elevated waistlines that are just below the bust.
- An empire waist dress can work well as long as there is not a lot of gathering at the banding. Too much bulk here will make you look pregnant.
- A wrap dress is perfect because the V-neckline emphasizes the bust. Just be sure the tie wrap on the dress sits just under the bust and not around the tummy.
- A shift or tunic dress that falls straight down, but is not baggy, is good.
- Another good style is the drop waist that narrows at your hips leaving nothing tight around your tummy.
- Patterns help to camouflage an apple tummy.
- Dark colors such as navy, black, brown shrink large areas like the tummy.
What Not to Wear
- Baggy shapeless clothes
- High necklines
- Clingy, tight clothes
- Detailed skirts and pants with pleats, or zippers, buttons or ties at the tummy
- Bulky coats and heavy sweaters
Are you starting to get a better understanding of how to dress if you are an Apple shape? Want to find out more about the styles of clothing will work best for your body type?